Question for you, dear reader: Look at your music library. Do you have the Tarzan soundtrack? Of course you do. Find "Son of Man," by the incomparable Phil Collins. Give it a listen. Go ahead, I'll wait [Achievement: FOURTH WALL BROKEN].
"In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn..."
That line resonates with me more than ever now. Since I'm going to be an instructional associate, my duties will be to assist professors. I don't really know, but I'm prepared for the possibility that I might be actually teaching.
That line carries a lesson: I can be taught theories and concepts until I get tired and flee to the bar, but the real learning emerges when I have to make sense of them and reteach them. Inherently speaking, it's undesirable to be teaching something that's incorrect (or so I hope—I know some of you have had some professors who couldn't be bothered to care). It dawned on me that the professors who encouraged discourse understood the concept that learning is a two-way avenue.
There you go. Wisdom brought to you by Phil Collins.
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This guy, according to Florida's Sun Sentinel, showed up in court with this jacket, "humorously" depicting a cartoonish rec...
-
When you forget your passions, it becomes difficult to take them up again. You realize how you loved them, and you also realize that they ha...
-
Geaux (to hell) Tigers. Roll (to hell) Tide... Pretty much sums up the roar on newsfeeds and timelines. We can agree that the BCS champi...
-
In lieu of returning to beloved Ole Miss, I have just arrived in scenic Auburn, Alabama...undertaking a completely new experience. Yes, al...
-
The humble haircut. Simple, innocuous, and a symbol of renewal. Shedding and revealing new growth underneath. It offers a feeling of rejuven...
-
You know, I didn't realize people still read this. I happened to check on the view count today. Anyway, a week into 2013, and I'm g...
-
I just ordered some wayfarer-style sunglasses from Knockaround . The company is a San Diego-based startup that appears to be doing well for ...
-
Having spent a full 24 hours here, I've found Auburn to be quite an interesting city. First, the best barbecue I've ever had. Hands ...
-
The ultimate show human expression is creation. For us to give a part of our soul and transliterate it into something that can be experience...
-
Returning to my home campus today. I enjoyed the visit and had quite a bit of fun. I'm a huge fan of leaving comfort zones far behind, w...
Blog Archive
Powered by Blogger.
0 comments:
Post a Comment