Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Las Ciudades Gemelas (Or, Teddy Takes Over).

I've been listening to this song obnoxiously. It's my favorite right now, and anything Don Omar touches is gold.

These few days I have before the internship officially begins are being put to use as R&R. I spent the last six weeks in Syracuse in high gear, and I've finally had the chance to relax after two 11-hour drives. I finished my pushup training program—just doing 100 straight. I'll probably repeat that a few times.

About the Midwest: I was raised in it, and I'm certain that I wouldn't mind settling down in it. Being that I like to experience all the culture I can, in as many scenic locales as possible, being here for the next six weeks is fine by me. There's plenty in the way of sports here, of course. I took a walk in the Mall of America yesterday (it's massive, and better constructed than DestinyUSA), and every few minutes, I saw another youth league team coming for a visit at one of the dining locations—or the amusement park...right in the middle of the thing. I've been here for 48 hours, and this city is all about its sports. That's a good thing.

I read today about the Minnesota Vikings' training camp, and where the prospects could fit in. Naturally, being from Louisville, I took keen interest in Teddy Bridgewater and the quarterback competition. Watching him develop under Charlie Strong, it became apparent that Bridgewater can certainly become the threat Minnesota needs him to be, especially now that the NFL now heavily favors the passing game. Slot receivers are the scalpel in an offense's arsenal, and the QB, more than ever, must be a surgeon. In that case, Louisville might as well have been Johns Hopkins, as they generally rely on a pro-style offense. Also, simulation is a good learning tool, and studying the playbook is the best excuse for playing video games that I've ever heard.

This is probably Christian Ponder's last shot at the helm, and it won't be pretty. He was drafted from FSU in 2011 to replace Matt Cassel, and had a large role in the Adrian Peterson show that was the playoff run in 2012...until he got hurt. After that, Ponder in 2013 was just dismal enough that Minnesota resigned Cassel. It's been a short three years, but there's not much room for patience at QB for NFL teams.

Speaking of Cassel, it makes sense to claim that the competition for the starting spot is just between him and Bridgewater; the franchise won't wait to see if they get boom or bust from Ponder, and he knows the team better. Mike Zimmer knows this, and it's likely Cassel will stay around anyway. If Bridgewater gets the starting job, Cassel will be an excellent backup. If he doesn't, Cassel can stay in the driver's seat while Bridgewater is groomed to take over.

Regardless, this is my prediction: Bridgewater will take over. The question is when. He proved, especially in the 36-9 beating the Cardinals handed to Miami, that he is ready for the next level. Cassel is the veteran support. He'll teach the rookie, and will get his due gratitude, but his days as the franchise QB are long, long gone. Ponder... might want to follow Ochocinco's lead. He's close enough to the border to do it, and even then... may not start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Recent Posts