Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why Rebel #83?


Seems like an arbitrary title, but I have a perfectly logical explanation for why I titled my blog "Rebel #83."

#83 was a split end receiver (on full scholarship, mind you) for the Ole Miss Rebels who graduated in 1982. He was well-known during his tenure at Ole Miss, and I've even run into people who remember this outstanding college student.

He taught me a little about football but, since the earlier schools I had gone to didn't have football programs, I never developed the early desire to play. Had my schools had football teams, I might have been inclined to play. You only live once, so I'm not really worried about what might have been.

It's funny, really, that aside from the obvious difference (he was a football player, I am not), our lives as college students seem to run parallel to each other. I've been known to play DJ for house parties. Guess who else did? I've made CRAZY decisions (I don't believe in mistakes)...and he made some of the same ones. I'm shooting for sports broadcasting, and guess who was a color commentator during a season in which he was injured?

My namesake. My father. Funny how that works, right?

Now you know.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Recent Posts